Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Name that Rage!



Happy Wednesday night everyone.
Last night I celebrated Namakula's birthday with wine and cake. I met three of her closest friends and low and behold, they were all lovely! Such strong, beautiful women! It was a powerful room, I tell you! I got to talking with Karen (beautiful lady in the blue) and of course the topic of Resistance came up (how easily it all just spills out of me, especially with a glass of wine!). Karen jumped right into the conversation and described this song she wrote... the lyrics were eerily on point ... I'm awaiting an audio file of the song to share with you all.

I got two wonderful recommendations today:

My friend Chris Corporandy sent me sincere response to the blog:
" I am happy to read about your commitment to shine the light of mindfulness onto Resistance. I've begun my own foray into Buddhist practice in the last year or so, and as I'm sure you're aware, the Dharma is perhaps primarily committed to letting go of resistance. And I also think I understand your relationship to rage... my own rage has always been tied with a sense of grief over who knows what.
Your blog woke up some things for me, and I can't wait to keep reading."


Chris continued on to recommend I read the book: "Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames" by Thich Nhat Hanh.
I ordered it on Amazon right away and I'll begin reading next week!
I find it intriguing that resistance has a different emotion for Chris than it does for me. Grief, Rage ... the bastard is sneaky, eh? Tricky little devil. A true shapeshifter.
Thanks so much to Chris for your honesty and it came right at a moment when I was doubting the public display of my own. To acknowledge it, so say it out loud... to call it by it's name --- which brings me to my second recommendation.

Collete Brandenburg, my comrade in artistic arms, commented a few blogs ago (see 2 comments posted the day before yesterday) and came up with a brilliant and bold idea. She wonders, what if we name our Resistance? She recommends the name George Bush, so that when I scream in vain, "I hate you, George Bush! You ignorant, annoying bastard!!" that people around me might actually applaud. Ha!
So I put the question out there to the group:
WHAT WOULD YOU NAME YOUR RESISTANCE?

xoxox!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! First I must say, you are a wonderful writer! Keep it up... i believe your friend is on the level recommending books by Thich Nhat Hanh. I read his book, "Creating True Peace." In fact, it rests on my bedside table. A gem. What would I name a Resistance group? Love Warriors:-)
The only way to fight hate is with love and true compassion. Thanks for touching on this. Lets act together soon... Heather