Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dark Side of the Moon

It's been a very concentrated time over here at Indie City Headquarters, aka - Jack and my Williamsburg pad. Right now, I'm sitting at my desk, reviewing my master Mount Joy To-Do List, which for years now has remained dense, but ever changing and evolving. I've learned that all I have to do is cross things off this list. Every day. A few check marks. Some parts of the list are mandatory and annoying and filled with dread. Others are ideas, avenues I think we should explore. Sometimes I add the name of a new indie movie to my list and I hold myself to attend a screening. Part of what I've recently added onto my Mount Joy list is blogging. Because I'm starting to feel more vocal again - let me explain why:
I'm going to turn around in my chair right now and take a picture of Jack.
Here it is:


In the past year, if you were to question (any day, any month), "I wonder what Katie and Jack are doing right now?" You'd have a 50/50 chance of being correct that some version of the above picture was taking place.
It's been an intense and quiet year. We have taken a look at every angle of our movie, Mount Joy. We have done our best to make enough cash on the side to afford to exist while we continue to hash it all out. Spread it wide, really mold it according to our truest intentions.
A few days ago, Jack pulled his earphones off, turned to me and said, "Can I show you the first 20 minutes again? I changed some stuff."
I sat down beside him (was it the 900th time?) and watch a cut of the new first act, with a new opening. After 20 minutes he paused it and we turned to face each other.
"You did it," I said.
Jack burst into tears. We hugged we cried we whooped for joy.
Mount Joy is going to be great! I feel like shouting it from the mountaintop!
We continue to jump the hurdles and check off the list.
We are close now.
We've shot ourselves through space, been to the dark side of the moon and we're emerging on the other side. We can see you on earth now and we're bringing this baby home.


1 comment:

Adriane McNeely said...

Good to hear your voice again, Katie! I have missed it. Yeah, this creativity/productivity thing can certainly show one the shadow side...and, as you aptly describe, the blinding, brilliant light as well. Editing is so confounding, yet so exciting, lasso-ing all the energies that went into creating your piece. Can't wait to see it. Would of course love to see you sometime again! Many continued well wishes on the launching of Mount Joy~~~