Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Great Teacher



George DiCenzo, my first acting teacher, died recently and suddenly.
I met George when I was 16 and took an acting class with him in Philadelphia. My Aunt Mimi, an actress herself, would pick me up from my mom's house and we'd drive over the Ben Franklin Bridge to Casting Director Mike Lemon's studio, where George's class took place. I had only taken children's acting classes before and this was a class of adults, led by George who often used the F-word and was ruthless about "the truth." He petrified me.
But George and I lasted years together. He taught me so much about choice and truth and moment-to-moment. I followed him to NY where I took his class at The School for Film and Television. He wrote my letter of recommendation to NYU and then I took a decade hiatus from being his student. After a 7 year stint in LA, I returned to NY and to George's class at the Actor's Playhouse.
I've had many teachers in my journey so far. Some taught me a few tricks. Many have been hacks. And only 2 have been so crucial to me that I can honestly call them mentors. George will forever be my first. My first mentor, my first real teacher. My first bright lighthouse in the thunder-storm of a career choice. And the wonderful thing about a great teacher is that they are never truly gone. George will forever be sitting on my shoulder, saying in his famously raspy growl, "Do the work."
Thank you George. I will miss you.

No comments: